Web clips collected from the web

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Improve usefulness of the blogosphere

Apparently this weekend Blogger was hit by a spam-blog bomb and it fired a lot of posts about it on Memeorandum, reactions included Icerocket's decision to stop indexing new blogspot posts, Jeff Harvis' request to share secrets to ignore spam blogs and Chris Pirillo's request to kill Blogspot. Google is already taking some action by adding some spam barriers.

The discussion is still going on Memeorandum, with Randy Charles stating that if not on Blogspot, spam-bloggers will try somewhere else and Chris Pirillo's suggestions for Blogspot. I like specially the Probationary Period suggestion which could be implemented similar to how Gmail was adding the number of invites through usage before, other actions should be coordinated with tools similar like the Splog Reporter and browser/toolbar extensions to report spam-blogs.

Cleaning the blogosphere it's not the only way to improve usefulness, to solve some blog usability issues Ajax could help. There is an Ajax WordPress Theme coming soon, here is a Flash-based Techdemo which shows some functionality, it looks promising.

3 Comments:

  • I’m having exactly the same problem as Fabrizio, and it seems that we’re not alone. As of around 10 am GMT today, I’ve been getting asked to enter a confirmation code every time I try to post, but each time it tells me “We’re sorry, but we were unable to complete your request” and won’t let me progress any further. “Only” my main blog is affected—none of my secondary blogs are—which suggests that their software is classifying certain blogs as spam on an arbitrary basis. I really hope this is fixed soon as it is absolutely infuriating.

    By Blogger Michael, at 10:17 AM  

  • Blogger Buzz's post is updated, stating that the problem is fixed. Probably the algorithm needed more training, we'll see how this works in the following days.

    By Blogger Beto, at 2:28 PM  

  • Google is lying as usual; I will never again have anything to do with any product associated with Google. I have not been able to post for two days and I can not get a respsone from anyone. All I get is:

    006 Please contact Blogger Support.blog/46/41/4/lacowboy/index.html

    By Blogger Brady Westwater, at 12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home